Friday 11 December 2009

Grab a Brown paper Bag


God. How awful.
Is brand-enduced vomiting a recognised condition? Because I think I have it.

(That's my initial response to this ad. But let's see how it pans out...)

Well, apart from the boring spiel the Volvo fella gives, midway through, the 'sell' is impalpably soft.
Not that that's always a bad thing.
But in this case, the idea in no way stems from the brand or anything Volvo are about. And I hate to say it, but it seems like they're using the blind man for some kind of bizarre sympathy vote. Blind men can't even drive - are they just teasing him?
And don't even get me started on that soundtrack...

They seem to think the line 'There's more to life than a Volvo, that's why you drive one' gives them the go-ahead to make "feel-good" ads about absolutely anything one might encounter in one's life.... other than, of course, a Volvo.

I don't know...
There's something about this kinda of advertising I really don't like.
Maybe it's just branding campaigns in general.

1 comment:

  1. what a load of shit! I like how they chuck in 'Gothenburg' as well like just cos it's designed there it must be awesome. The line at the start might as well say 'go do something, anything, but don't buy a volvo.' *blergh*

    ReplyDelete