Friday 30 October 2009

Ode to the art director


Okay, so the 'glass ceiling' is something we've all heard of . And Ogilvy & Mather (Istanbul) take it literally in this spot about prejudice. But on paper this ad would seem average.... "lets take the glass ceiling metaphor literally - block people's paths to things with CGI glass." It's the art direction that makes the spot work. If I wrote this ad by myself, I'd probably just discard it. I'd say I wasn't thinking enough. But an art director could transform the idea into something like this.

I'm not making excuses for average ideas. 'Think Now, Design Later' taught me that the concept comes first, and a bad idea cant be saved no matter how flashy you make it look. You can't polish a turd.

I think my point is that the copywriter/art director team is crucial to the process.
Not having one to bounce off is proving tough.
I've got no one to save my average ideas and make them great.
And no one to bring my 'great' ideas down to earth.

Advertising ain't solitaire.

1 comment:

  1. I know a few people looking for partners, it'll be a whole lot easier to get a job if you find someone, apart from making your book better, people normally only hire in teams. Unless you really are shit hot. I decided to follow you back ;)

    ReplyDelete